- This event has passed.
Anti-Fragile Walking Step by Step
June 2 @ 10:00 am - June 3 @ 4:00 pm$295 – $350
Join us for this 2-day workshop
Would you like to walk with greater ease and pleasure? Most of us walk with deeply grooved habits, repeating movements that lead to pain and stiffness. If we study these movements, we can create stability and integrity in our walk. With practice, we can clarify and ennoble an action we’ve done unconsciously our entire lives. Taught by Andrew Gibbons, GCFP.
In this 2-day course, you’ll raise your walking from an unconscious habit to an informed practice. You’ll emerge with a clearer perspective on how walking works and the art of transferring weight elegantly from leg to leg. You’ll learn what, why, and how to practice with greater specificity. Then walking can become a path to health. It can be your zen, your gym, and your joy. Limit: 25 participants. Room for 10 more as 5/1.
- Teachers & practitioners of somatic modalities: Feldenkrais Method®, yoga, Alexander Technique and more
- Martial artists
- Performing artists
- Anyone who’d like to stand and walk with greater efficiency and pleasure
Feedback from Last Year
“I better understand how my feet support my skeleton, and when properly organized and with mindful attention I can improve my organization. I learned just how much power I can have when my bones have proper support from down below.“
Three Crucial Moments
The course focuses on three crucial moments in walking. These moments will set the parameters to test and improve your skeletal support, muscular efficiency, and balance.
As a participant you will learn:
- How walking is learned, and how learning is walked.
- Why your soft tissue cannot survive a disorganized skeleton.
- To see and sense shearing forces that poor walking creates, and learn how to move better by choice.
- Key relationships in the foot, ankle, and knee that every good walk maintains.
- “Do-anywhere” practices that help you tune your walking balance and maintain it throughout the day.
- How to use observational skills to improve by observing other people and yourself.
- Awareness Through Movement® practices that deepen your understanding and skill.
Instructor Andrew Gibbons is a Guild Certified Feldenkrais Teacher in New York City. He’s spent the last 8 years uncovering the moments in walking that tell us the most about our posture and self organization. In his private practice, he teaches the humans of New York how to organize themselves better for the second half of life than they did for the first. Andrew has been a Feldenkrais Teacher since 2003. Now an assistant trainer, he’s on the staff of Jeff Haller’s IOPS Academy, a graduate program for Feldenkrais teachers in NYC and Seattle.
Saturday & Sunday, June 2 & 3, 10am-4 pm.
Late: $325 After May 1.
At door: $350.
Register on Brown Paper Tickets.
Or send a check payable to “Dallas Feldenkrais” to: 3515 Cedar Springs Rd., Dallas, TX 75219